A Site I Love – And a DIY Chandelier Upgrade

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links.


One of my favorite places to visit for DIY inspiration is Remodelaholic.  It’s always interesting to see what Cass and Justin are working on in their project houses.  I love that they are all about the “re” – repurposing, reusing, reclaiming.  I especially enjoy their retro remodels.  And their contributors and guest bloggers bring so much variety and creativity to the table.

So of course I was thrilled when Remodelaholic invited me to be a guest blogger and talk about our master bathroom remodel.  If you get a chance, hop over to Remodelaholic and check out my post.

Writing a new post for Remodelaholic about my master bathroom meant looking at it with fresh eyes.  When I step into my master bathroom, I tend to see the big picture: The natural light, the airiness,

Master Bath remodel

and the sweet little black cat who is drawn to the room’s heated floor.

Master bath remodel
Priscilla ignoring her human while soaking up the heat

But in writing the post, I focused on the details again.  And one tiny detail still bothered me.

Plain Chain

I love our beautiful Spanish chandelier.  But I was recently in an antique store where all of their chandeliers had silk sleeves covering their chains.  They made the chandeliers look so elegant and substantial.

So then the chain on our chandelier started to bug me.  Some chandelier chains are ornate, but this one is nothing special.

chandelier before
Yes, I really climbed a ladder with my nice camera to get this photo.

A Budget Fix

A chandelier chain sleeve can cost upwards of $25.  But yesterday I made my own for 80 cents.  Here is how I did it.

Materials

  • A piece of fabric that is 7 inches wide and twice the length of the chain to be covered
  • Matching thread
  • Thin twine or yarn
  • Scissors/sewing machine/tape measure/pins and a needle

The How-To

My method is an adaptation of a method I found here.  The chain has an electrical cord running through it, which I made sure was in good condition before covering it with fabric.

  • I chose a silver fabric with an elegant, silky texture.  My chain was 17 inches long, so I needed fabric with at least a 34-inch width, which was easy to find.  I had the fabric store cut me just a quarter yard of the fabric.  It was on sale – which is why I only paid 80 cents.  All other materials I had on hand.
  • I cut the fabric to size – 7 inches wide and 34 inches long.
  • I machine hemmed each short end of the fabric.
  • Then I cut two 40-inch pieces of twine.  I wanted the pieces of twine to be longer than the length of the fabric.
  • Then I made a half-inch fold on each long side of the fabric, placed the twine inside the fold, and pinned it, creating a pocket for the twine.  The photo below better explains it.

DIy chandelier chain sleeve - materials

  • Then I sewed the pockets closed with a sewing machine, making sure not to sew over the twine.

DIy chandelier chain sleeve -

I made sure that a little bit of twine was extending past the ends of the fabric at all times.  It’s no fun at all if the twine gets lost inside the pocket of the fabric.

  • Then I held the ends of the twine and scrunched the fabric together until it was 17 inches – the length of the chain.

DIY Chandelier Chain Sleeve

  • Then the fun really started. I climbed up on a ladder with this scrunched piece of fabric and, using the twine, tied one end to the top of the chain and the other end to the bottom.  Then as best I could, I scrunched the fabric around the chain.  It took a little tweaking to get it just right, but it really wasn’t difficult.
  • I cut away the excess twine.
  • Then I repositioned the ladder so I could put in some hand stitches to bring the seams together.  I made stitches in about five places along the length of the sleeve to close it up.
DIY Chandelier Chain Sleeve
I stitched in about five places to hold the two seams together in the back of this chandelier sleeve.
  • I made sure the stitched seams faced the back of the room so they aren’t easily seen.  But even so, it does’t really look that bad – certainly better than the chain.

Finished!

Here is how it looks from the front.

DIY Chandelier Chain Sleeve

Just the little finishing touch the room needed.

DIY Chandelier Chain Sleeve

Hmm, now the light bulbs are starting to bug me.  But that is for another day.

DIY Chandelier Chain Sleeve

Now remember, this post is for entertainment purposes only.  I try some stupid stunts sometimes, so any attempts at overhead stitching while teetering on a ladder are at your own peril.


You might also enjoy:

Linking up with:

8 thoughts on “A Site I Love – And a DIY Chandelier Upgrade”

  1. First of all, your bathroom is A-Mazing! And second, I’m swooning over that chandelier! It’s absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday!

  2. Love this DIY makeover….the chandy looks GREAT! Thank you for sharing it at my Show and Share Party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *