This blog, My Sweet Cottage, which I started late last summer, actually made one of my New Year’s resolutions for 2014 come true: To find more things I enjoy doing. I really love having this blog, and I have you to thank. Your comments and encouragement keep me going and keep it fun.
A blog is a great way of documenting the year. Here, in semi-chronological order, is a look back at my top 10 posts for 2014.
Things That Happened in 2014
1. We lost my dear mother-in-law in May, but we found a beautiful way of honoring her life. Betty would have loved her celebration of life party.
2. I shared the colorful makeover of our little garden shed.
3. In a three-part series, I talked about our master bathroom remodel.
4. In another three-part series, I covered our kitchen remodel.
5. My mother brought me some beautiful hydrangeas for floral arrangements.
6. I cleaned out our basement and found all kinds of treasures to revamp or repurpose. My husband, Chris, reupholstered the mid-century chair he remembers from his childhood.
7. My brother and his wife have been busy too with their 1908 house. They did a stunning DIY dining room remodel. If you haven’t already seen this post, don’t miss it!
8. A major highlight of my year was when one of my long-held dreams came true: We now have a greenhouse!
9. We reupholstered our old arts and crafts dining chairs with an unconventional fabric.
10. In my favorite post of 2014, my mother shared tips for setting a formal table – and some interesting stories from her experiences working in an English manor house in the 1950s.
The Year Ahead
I have several resolutions for 2015. First, now that I have a greenhouse, I resolve to expand my horizons as a gardener by learning more about greenhouse gardening.
I resolve to make more time for sewing so I can do more fun projects like these gift bags.
And finally, I resolve to be true to my own likes and dislikes. I will look to new trends in décor and design for inspiration, but I won’t be swayed by their popularity alone. I will stick with what speaks to me. And I will share that with you.
Here’s to a fun and interesting 2015!
This post is part of a fun event called “Show and Tell Fridays” featuring the work of some very talented designers. Click on the thumbnail below to check out their work.